Monday, December 2, 2013
1 pack ground turkey
2 rolls of turkey breakfast sausage
2 cup uncooked white rice
2 heads of cabbage leaves
1 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped bell pepper
1/4 cup chopped parsley
4 fresh basil leaves cut
1/4 cup green onion
2 egg, slightly beaten
3 tbs tomato paste
1 can large can of tomato soup
1 can large can of seasoned diced tomato
1 can large can of stewed tomato
3tbs brown sugar
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Cook the rice according to package directions
2. Bring a large, wide saucepan of lightly salted water to a boil. Add cabbage leaves and cook for 2 to 4 minutes or until softened; drain.
3. Combine the tomato products and brown sugar in a large saucepan. Mix thoroughly, then remove 1/2 cup. Simmer the remaining.
4. In a medium mixing bowl, combine the ground meat, cooked rice, onion, bell pepper, basil, parsley egg, salt and pepper, along with 1/2 cup of tomato mixture. Mix thoroughly.
5. Divide the meat mixture evenly among the cabbage leaves. Roll and secure them with toothpicks.
6. Add the cabbage rolls to a large baking dish, pour the remaining sauce over the rolls, cover with foil then bake at 350 for 45 minutes or until the meat is completely cooked.
***Optional twist**** Add fresh mozzarella to the center of each cabbage roll for a cheese surprise.