Pages

Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Germknoedel My Way

One of my fondest memories from childhood was visiting the Christkindel Market in Germany and partaking in the festivities. My absolute favorite thing at the Market was the Germknoedels. I have search far and wide here in Dallas to find this treat, but no luck, so, I made it myself. I came out wonderful!

I've noticed several spellings of this treat, Germknoedel (which seems to be how Europeans spell it) and Germknodel (I'm guessing that's the way us yanks spell it).

Here is the definition of Germknodel according to Wikipedia;
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Germkn%C3%B6del)
Germknödel ([ˈɡɛɐ̯mˌknøːdl̩], Austrian German for yeast dumpling) is a fluffy yeast dough dumpling with a mix of poppy seeds and sugar, filled with spicy plum jam and melted butter on top, often eaten with vanilla cream sauce. It is a culinary speciality of Austria, Bavaria, and Bohemia. The dish is served both as a dessert and as a main course.

Basically it's a steamed sweet dumpling, stuffed with a fruit filling and topped with a butter or vanilla cream sauce. The vanilla cream sauce is the best to me.

Check out my silly little video me and my kids did while making out Germknoedel.  This was a lot of work, but well worth the effort.



Enjoy

Hungraciously Yours,
MiMi J

2 comments:

  1. I love it couz! you sound like a mixture of german/ nigerian lol. Fun video :-)!! Dyl made me laugh with his russian accent.

    ReplyDelete